The Growing Problem With Overuse Of Anesthesia
Anesthesia is over-utilized for surgeries that could be achieved under local anesthetic: WAVR will disrupt this expensive and dangerous practice by enabling awake surgery using Virtual Reality.
- Every year more surgeries are happening due to a decreased threshold for elective surgery on elderly and high-risk patients.
- Many procedures don’t require a patient be under full anesthesia, but it is used anyway.
- Patients can die due to complications from surgery specifically linked to problems associated with being under anesthesia; Even during “routine surgeries” serious complications can occur and lead to death or long, expensive stays in the ICU*.
Anesthesia Related Complications Personally Witnessed by CMO
Dr. James Clarkson witnessed over 8 years at a major research hospital:
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack) and death 24 hours postoperative
- Post operative pneumonia 10 days postoperative
- Stroke 72 hours postoperative
- Perioperative cardiac arrest
- Pulmonary embolism postoperative
- Multiple nerve palsies
- Death: Postoperative loss of airway in ICU X3
Improving Outcomes In Modern Medicine
Imagine a better, safer, less costly, more sustainable surgical experience:
- a world where you can take your routine medicines and eat lunch before surgery
- having surgery while completely awake, without fear
- exploring an entirely new, highly realistic, soothing environment while surgery is happening without feeling pain or anxiety