The Growing Problem With Overuse Of Anesthesia
Anesthesia is over-utilized for surgeries that could be achieved under local anesthetic: WAVR will disrupt this expensive and dangerous practice by enabling awake surgery using Virtual Reality.
- Every year more surgeries are happening due to a decreased threshold for elective surgery on elderly and high-risk patients.
- Many procedures don’t require a patient be under full anesthesia, but it is used anyway.
- Patients can die due to complications from surgery specifically linked to problems associated with being under anesthesia; Even during “routine surgeries” serious complications can occur and lead to death or long, expensive stays in the ICU*.
Anesthesia Related Complications...
Witnessed over 8 years by Dr. James Clarkson at a major research hospital:
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack) and death 24 hours postoperative
- Post operative pneumonia 10 days postoperative
- Stroke 72 hours postoperative
- Perioperative cardiac arrest
- Pulmonary embolism postoperative
- Multiple nerve palsies
- Death: Postoperative loss of airway in ICU X3
Improving Outcomes In Modern Medicine
Imagine a better, safer, less costly, more sustainable surgical experience:
- A world where you can take your routine medicines and eat lunch before surgery
- Having surgery while completely awake, without fear
- Exploring an entirely new, highly realistic, soothing environment while surgery is happening without feeling pain or anxiety
What is WALANT?
WAVR combines the WALANT surgical technique with Virtual Reality experiences.
WALANT is Wide Awake Local Anesthetic No Tourniquet surgery. It is well established with over twenty years of successful outcomes and is now practiced regularly in hand, wrist, and minor surgeries all over the world.
WAVR is Wide Awake Virtual Reality
WAVR is a better and safer way for people to experience surgical procedures without the need for general anesthesia. When patients use VR to mitigate against anxiety, surgeons can use local anesthetic in the comfort and safety of their offices.
WAVR uses the WALANT surgical technique, adding the immersive power of VR to increase patient acceptance by 10X and substantially reducing the costs of common procedures.
Office-based Carpal Tunnel Surgery with WAVR = $1,500 to $1,900
Hospital-based Carpal Tunnel Surgery without = $5,500 to $7,500
WAVR patients have exponentially higher SATISFACTION scores with no general anesthetic risk, procedural waste, or needless anxiety.